![]() |
| Photo source - http://pinterest.com/pin/4292562114885286/ |
My skin has been so much better recently and I wrote a skincare post not so long ago saying that I thought a lot of it was down to having a better skincare routine that I stuck to. Although I believe this is true I have to also give credit to eating healthier. Sometimes we forget that what we stuff in our faces is just as important as what we put on them. It’s the same as someone going to the gym but still eating crap all day long – they are never going to have the perfect body and vice versa. So there is no point in spending loads of money on beautiful skincare products if you eat crap because you will still suffer from breakouts and bad skin. Don’t get me wrong, I know there are those lucky ones out there that have perfect skin and yet their 5-a-day is more like 5-a-month but I’m not one of those lucky ones and I don’t think the majority are. You can cover up in as much makeup as you like but everyone would prefer to have nicer skin to be able to go makeup free if they wished.
I’m not saying give anything up completely, I don’t really think you should deprive yourself anything 100% and I’ve got to be honest, I love my sweet things far too much. It would be like torture to me and that’s no fun either! All it takes is a balanced diet, yes you had a whole Ben & Jerry‘s carton of ice cream but no you don’t do that every week. Everything in moderation! Foods with high sugar, high salt and bad fats are not good in anybody’s diet regardless of whether they are trying to lose weight or not.
I find that the problem is that these days everyone is looking at calories instead of the overall nutritional information. An avocado is high in fat and so the calorie count is about 160 per 100g, a diet coke is like 1 calorie but health wise the avocado is so much better for you. You get good nutrients, good fat and its known to be great for the skin. Diet drinks are said to be worse for you than most people think and the artificial sweeteners can't be easily broken down by the body. There are always different reports coming out one minute somethings bad for you and then its good, its hard to keep up sometimes. But at the end of the day you can't go wrong with adding more fresh fruit and veg into your diet and also drinking plenty of water. It won't transform your skin overnight but eventually your skin will look a lot better for it.
Some great foods to add to your diet;
- Colourful vegetables such as carrots and red peppers contain antioxidants called carotenoids which will give you a healthy glow.
- Berries such as strawberries, blackberries and blueberries are high in antioxidants that are good for the skin.
- Avocados are amazing for the skin - great source of Vitamin E and also contains Vitamin C
- Not a food but I'd also recommend drinking Green Tea. It's not the best tasting drink out there but if you can get over that it really is great to try and drink regularly.
- And of course plenty of water throughout the day.
As they say... you are what you eat, so feed your skin some goodness and it will look good!
A little different from any of my other posts but hopefully you've found it a little interesting or helpful? Let me know.
Tweet

Ice cream is such a guilty pleasure for me in the summer! I need to stop haha!
ReplyDeleteAwesome post! I'm so glad I read it :)
AJ | TheAJMinute
Thank you, I'm glad you liked it. I'm terrible for all things sweet so really have to limit my sugar intake otherwise I can get bad break outs. Ice cream in the summer can be too hard to resist though!! :) x
Delete